Saturday, April 25, 2009

i dreamed a dream

Attention to all! do not, i repeat, do NOT watch the movie/musical Les Misérables if you ever get the chance. unless of course you enjoy a thought provoking, 'handsomely mounted, strikingly photographed and exquisitely acted' movie/musical. 

its the kind of movie that teases your soul throughout and in the end just stabs you in the heart. the sadness in the movie is so real, I promise you, my heart actually started hurting. (yes, that is exactly how I felt after watching it) honestly, its a good movie. it reminds you of how much life has to offer and how us selfish creatures have taken a lot of things in life for granted. It shows the two contras - the beauty of life and the brutality of life. you get to witness how ugly the world can get and yet, we are also given the choice of lighting a light instead of cursing the darkness. itstimetodosomething

As Victor Hugo puts it - "People are ignorant of things they ought to know, and know things of which they ought to be ignorant."

you know what? I LIKED the movie a lot. you'd want to buy the dvd and keep it forever because its that good. :)

I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed.

I would love, love, LOVE to watch it live in Broadway :) I've heard its better than the movie...

The musical is based on a Victor Hugo novel (familiar with Hunchback of Notre Dame anyone?)... it's set in 19th century France (I am loving the accent and country!) depicting the life of Jean Valjean, a Frenchman who is imprisoned for 19 years because he stole A LOAF OF BREAD for his sister and mum (also, he attempted to escape several times, causing them to just leave him in jail longer). 

He eventually gets released but he has to carry a stupid yellow card to inform everyone he's a convict.. Obviously, everyone refuses to help him.. anyway, to cut the extremely long story short, I come to the conclusion I cannot give summaries of movies la. I'll end up telling the whole story :/ those interested can check this out hehe

in a nutshell, it covered so many aspects I can see and relate to the world today. Prejudices, injustice, hunger, compassion, love, transformation, acceptance etc. The scenes where Jean acts as surrogate father for Cossete will make you go 'ohhsshhoosssshhwweeettt!' The only problem is that the movie was highly abridged! me needs to go get the book asap mwahahaaha.. But seriously, the movie got me so worked up I think sleep just disappeared :/ the plot was complex and there was so much focus on the revolutions in France then that I googled it all and abandoned all hopes of finishing parasito lectures tonight.

There was a time when love was blind
And the world was a song
And the song was exciting

-Les Miserables

Its one of those movies.. they stay and never leave. :)

0 comments: