Tuesday, March 31, 2009

If you could see what I see..

Its funny how time passes so much now that I’ve grown older. I remember distinctly how slow time used to pass when I was younger. For next week to come, it seemed like forever. And yet, now, next week is just coming to fast. Perhaps it’s because we had every week to look forward to. Now when I don’t want it to come, it of course, wants to come all the more, faster. Perhaps I should anticipate next week, so much til time passes slowly. Ah well, wishful thinking.

An old, nay, elderly (we're taught NOT to be rude in csu haha) man stopped me on my walk back from uni to Vista today. He honked at me and asked for directions to Sri Petaling. Apparently my directions were not clear enough that he parked aside the road and asked me to draw him a map. But of course, he has to mention that I shouldn’t be stopping for any stranger asking for help. Its not as if I go around throwing myself at strangers who seem to need help. But come on la, discernment is there for a reason. There were people with me and the guards were just less than 10 feet away. Common sense would tell you it was safe and the poor uncle really was lost. What happened to good old-fashioned courtesy - where helping strangers was considered a good thing and not insanely dangerous for fear of being mugged, robbed and heaven forbid, kidnapped in broad daylight. What happened to a pleasant ‘thank you for your help’? Instead, all I got was ‘next time when people ask you for directions, WALK AWAY. Its dangerous to help people nowadays.’ Maybe that’s what I should have done, ran for my life when he asked for help. 

Ridiculous if you ask me.

Something should be done. We should feel SAFE walking to and fro uni. And it should be SAFE dammit to want to help people. The spirit of chivalry is dead I tell you. DEAD. If this is how things are going now, I actually can imagine a future where people will just mind their own business-indifferent, rude and oblivious to their surroundings. It doesn’t hurt to stop and smile you know. That’s another one of those ridiculous situations I’ve had to come across lately. What happened to smiling just because I want to? You don’t have to fricking get their whole family history every time you say hi to someone. Nor do you have to worry about how the person will perceive your smile to be. It’s their problem really if they think something else of your smile. A simple smile alone goes a long way. And YET, even that is so hard to accomplish sometimes. Some people ah, they just need a good smack on the head to bring them back down to earth.


Of course, the best part of today was the food. lots and lots of it. (I've a strong notion that they actually put cas-cas (kas-kas?) inside their food. no food can be THAT addictive!) interesting conversations with pervy people. medstudents i tell you. haha. learnt more than i needed to today :/

0 comments: